Fethiye Museum

Fethiye museum was first established as a storage facility in 1962, with the historical artefacts collected from city and its environs during the reconstruction period after the earthquake in 1957. Fethiye is located on the ancient city of Telmessos which was the west end city of the ancient Lycia Region and port city of Teke Peninsula. The Museum opened to public in 1987. Citizens of Fethiye region and unearthed items from excavations are primary sources for the displayed objects in Fethiye Archaeology Museum. Fethiye Museum consists of two halls inside where archaeological artefacts and finds from Tlos and Kaunos ancient cities are displayed and large pieces are displayed in the open-air gallery outside. Exhibits in archaeology section include sculpture, busts, ceramics, glass, metal and coins covering the period from BC 3000 to the end of the Byzantine period. Also there are inscriptions giving important information about the history and culture of the region. One very significant find displayed here is the 'Trilingual Stele' from Letoon, bearing inscriptions in Greek, Lycian and Aramaic, which was crucial in the deciphering of the Lycian language. Lycian language was the native language of this region in classical period.
This project is co-financed by the European Union and the Republic of Turkey